“It’s just” | Synthetic Opinion



I come from a not too dysfunctional family, bear in mind that all families are bit crazy to some extent, so you can call my family normal. My point is that my father was not and continues not to be a so called regular Joe. He is an artist and woodworker and thought me to crave for knowledge no matter what, "knowledge doesn't take space" he usually says. It is with this frame of mind that I try to live, from art to science, painting to photography, 3D to writing, reading to watching a movie, I try to learn as much as I can and to be good at every task I set my mind to do.

My whole life has been lived like that, learn, learn everything you can before time runs out. It's almost breathtaking sometimes. For the most part of my youngest age, four years to twelve, my main goal was to know as much natural science as I could, documentaries were my cartoons, you see, I wanted to be an archaeologist, dinosaurs were a passion beyond belief. So I continued to learn about the world we live (although it's an ongoing project). With fourteen I made my first photomanip as a small experiment, my journey within the artistic world began there, from that moment forward I continued, and continue, to improve my skills, however with eighteen I got a job doing what at first started as a innocent hobby but evolved beyond that. Now it’s my job. This takes me to my point.

That is when people ask, even if politely, for some of my services, a logotype or an illustration, but ruin the request by saying things along the lines of “it’s just” a logo, or “do it fast it’s so easy for you” and the most disturbing thing of all, when they expect the service for free. Completely disregarding the years of effort poured into learning that set of skills. Forgetting that it is a job, my job. Sometimes when I get a bit mad (depending on the level of frustration) reply with the following example, “if I was a doctor would you go to my office expecting a diagnosis for free just because it’s easy for me? Of course not.” So why would you even consider asking a free job from a professional artist? “Oh, but a doctor is a trained person” “They go to school for years”, are the usual replies. Completely mediocre reply if you think of the time necessary for mastering a craft to a high enough level in order to sell it as a professional product.

Remember, I don't use the term professional lightly, if someone does whatever craft for a living, he is a professional. That's the definition of professional, a person who engages for his livelihood in some activity also pursued by amateurs.

Another example I usually think but rarely say is the following, imagine yourself going to a bar and asking the weightier for a coke, the weightier delivers the coke but you say that you don’t want to pay. Why wouldn't you pay for it? You asked for the bottle, the person delivered it, you are getting a service as well as a product and you don't pay? That is a ridicule scenario of course. You can't get a product for free. Exactly right. You can't.

This trivialization of the artist just because he doesn't have a flashy title like Architect or Film Director is ludicrous, think if you would do your work for free and then think twice about asking people to do work for you without payment. Be considerate of your artist friends.

As always thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment